Get Ready for Your Appointment
Use this handy checklist:
- When you come for your first appointment, bring all of your medications in the original containers, including
- prescription, over-the-counter, natural/herbal medicines and vitamins.
- Bring all financial information requested and keep it continuously updated.
- Talk with your provider about what health issue to work on first.
- Be sure you know what you should do before you leave the clinic.
- Use your own words to repeat back the things you’ve discussed with your provider and nurse.
- If you wish, ask a family member or close friend to go to your appointment with you.
Steps to a better health:
- If you smoke cigarettes or use other tobacco products, work towards quitting.
- If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation. Ask your provider how much you can safely drink.
- Eat means low in fat and high in vegetables and fruits.
- Any exercise is better than none, but try to exercise 30 minutes each day, 5 days per week. Before stating any exercise program, speak to your provider.
- Lean about ways to deal with stress and tension.
- Maintain social support with you family, friends and others in the community
Questions to ask at your appointment:
- What is my main problem?
- What is causing this condition?
- How is the diagnosed?
- What is this test for?
- When will I get the results?
- What are my lab results and what do they mean?
- Why do I need this treatment?
- What are the treatment options?
- What can I expect with this medication?
- What are the possible complications?
- Will this medication interact with medicines I’m already taking?
- What can I do to improve my health?
- Why is it important for me to do this?